Tuesday, May 2, 2017

First Time Marathon Mama Shares Her Story

Written by Allison Reid, MRTT/SRTT Louisville Forerunner
April 30th, 2017

Today, I finished my first marathon and I’m still not quite sure what to say.  I’ll start by thanking everyone who supported me throughout my training, whether it was by going with me on training runs, sending me positive messages throughout my journey or showing up at the race to cheer…THANK YOU! A very sincere thank you!  Friendly smiles and familiar faces helped keep me going today.

Leading up to the race, I followed my training plan religiously.  For the past two weeks, I’ve really focused on stretching, nutrition and hydration. The evening before the race, I was fortunate to spend time with BOTH my mentor for road running (Coach Boyd) and my mentor for trail running (Trail Mama Marian).  I was ECSTATIC when Marian signed up for the race, and I was presented with the opportunity to run my very FIRST marathon with BOTH of my mentors!  AMAZING! STARS ALIGNED!  Race morning I felt pretty good. Storms kept me up quite a bit throughout the night, so the first 30 minute delay was actually quite welcomed.  I was pleased with my pre-race input and output, and we all know how important that is!  We walked to the race, and quickly learned it was delayed again…and again.  I didn’t feel nervous. There was a lot of standing around, BUT I loved interacting with other runners and taking lots of pre-race selfies. 


My moms running group poses for photos before the race.
We finally started running, close to 2 hours later than expected.  It started to rain, but that did not bother me…I was prepared for rain.  What my body was not prepared for was the hot, humid weather that followed.  I usually don’t mind the heat at all, but I just didn’t adapt well during the race. The first 3 miles, I felt out of sync, but that isn’t atypical for me.  I reminded myself not to make any judgments about my race until after mile 3.  Miles 3, 4, 5 and 6 passed, and I continued to struggle to find my groove.  Since last fall, I have completed 4 half-marathons and numerous 16+ mile training runs.  I felt prepared, and certainly did not anticipate any issues this early in the race! We didn’t start out too fast. Our pace was slower than my usual pace. Marian and Stephanie checked on me often, probably concerned I was being so quiet.  I answered with short responses “fine,” “good,” etc. and tried to squeak out smiles. But I did not feel fine.  My heart rate concerned me, as it peaked at 189 and my breathing just seemed “off.”  For the first 9 miles, Marian and Stephanie knew when to push me, when to make me smile, when I needed a laugh, when to tell me a story and reminded me to fuel/hydrate.  And ultimately, they knew when I needed to fall back.  I’ve never said, “I can’t” during a run or a race.  But today I could not keep the planned pace.  Separating from them was not easy.  I cried because I did not want to interfere with their ability to PR (personal record), I cried because I was nervous to run the remaining 17 miles solo and I grieved because I was working so hard and I could not maintain what is usually a VERY comfortable pace for me. I promised Stephanie I had an alternate plan…but my goal didn’t change, I was going to finish a marathon!  I begged, yes BEGGED, her to keep running…without me. She didn’t go without a fight and a few tears.  I am so grateful that she showed such dedication to stay by my side, but I’m glad she agreed to keep running and achieve her PR! 

So around mile 9, I decreased my pace and my heart rate dropped.  I decided to adopt a walk-run plan.  I tried walking 0.25 miles and running 0.75; however, I really ended up walking more and more with every mile.  I reevaluated frequently, I hydrated more than I ever have (well over 2 liters on the course doesn’t help pace, haha). I struggled to keep up with when to fuel, so when in doubt I took a salt pill and ate a cliff blok. I worked very hard on remaining positive.  I focused on 1 mile at a time…sometimes I was only able to focus on finishing a half or a quarter mile. I looked for friendly faces, and got so overwhelmed with emotions every time I saw a familiar face.  As I looked into the eyes of friends and unfamiliar spectators, I often saw sincere respect for what I was doing and felt like they believed in me…likely more than I believed in myself during the challenging moments.  I hugged, high fived and sometimes cried when I saw a fellow MRTT mama.  I called my husband several times, and spoke to Amy G. on the phone at a particularly low point.  I’m sure there will be at least one race picture of me on the phone. I connected with other runners struggling along the route, as we encouraged each other to keep going.

Staying positive wasn’t easy, but it was key!  I fought the urge to walk off the course numerous times.  I found humor in my irrational thinking when I seriously considered jumping in front of a moving vehicle (not just once, but twice during the race) because a medical DNF (did not finish) seemed more excusable than a DNF because I quit. I actually took at short seated rest break (in a porta potty, YUK), so I could rally up enough mental and physical energy to keep going.  At one point I remember thinking, “Why is my body failing me today?”  And I quickly reminded myself…I was going to finish a MARATHON, my first marathon…TODAY.  I reminded myself, I could NOT even run ONE mile without stopping this time last year.  My body was not failing me. My body is strong and my body can do hard things.  My expectations were all that needed to be adjusted.  I threw any time related goal out the window. I stopped trying to predict how my slowed pace would impact my finish time.  I stopped trying to figure out what time I would finish, don’t do it…it will overwhelm you. I tried to just go with the flow, not always easy for me! I focused on whatever seemed attainable…making it through a certain song, running to a tree a few feet away or just keep placing one foot in front of the other. I focused on what an accomplishment it is to be able to run, walk or crawl 26.2 miles. I’ve never been so happy to see a finish line.  I tried my hardest. I gave it everything I had.  I literally left it all out on the course. I finished and I did not end up in a medical tent.  SUCCESS!

Receiving my Half Classic Medal!



Friends at the finish line reminded me of what a great success it is to finish a marathon; I needed that reminder…AGAIN. Experienced runners reminded me…sometimes you just have an “off” race, just like you have an “off” training run. They assured me one race does not define you, but can help make you stronger! I can’t pinpoint what would have improved my race today…I didn’t have a specific injury or intense, unbearable pain…it was just an “off” race due to circumstances out of my control. I will not overanalyze my experience; I will not dwell on what happened or didn’t happen.  Today I will cherish my accomplishment, and be proud to have successfully completed my first marathon.  Not to brag or anything, but I did PR today. I hope to PR my next marathon too. J  Until then, I’m going to focus on biking and learning to swim in addition to running, because Coach Boyd and I have our first sprint triathlon to crush this summer! Here’s my challenge to you, “Set a goal so big you can’t achieve it until you grow into the person who can.” -Anonymous


Happy to finish my first marathon and celebrate with friends.

4 comments:

  1. Love this! You are an inspiration to ALL- especially those beautiful daughters of yours!

    ReplyDelete