Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Amy - Leadership Spotlight


Name:  Amy

Hometown: St. Matthews, KY

Family:  Husband Chris of 13 years and 2 children – Roan 9, Elliot 5. Fun fact, I met Chris on the internet in late 2002.



Why do you Run? I run because it brings me joy and because I get to spend time with some of my best friends whom I met through MRTT. I’m mostly a trail runner and the woods and trails bring a peacefulness to my life that helps renew my mind. Best way to start my day and best way to decompress after a log and possibly stressful day. I love introducing people to the joy of trail running.  

Favorite non-running workout: Racquetball. I love racquetball so much but never get to play. So, if you are looking for a racquetball buddy and have a place to play, hit me up!

Favorite Training Plan: One that involves running with my friends every week, hill training and my favorite: Fartleks. I love the plans that I downloaded from www.rei.com

Where is your favorite place to run and why?  All Trails. Trail running brings a peacefulness that you can only understand once you do it. I love Jefferson Memorial Forest, Seneca Trails, Cherokee Trails, Waverly Park Trails. I basically love all trails.  

What is the one thing you absolutely need to run? Running shorts, or capris or pants with pockets. Gotta have the pockets. And really prefer if its big enough for my phone. Why is anything ever made without pockets anyway?

What is your favorite post-run indulgence? Beer or when it came to my last run at Ragnar, a fresh mimosa. YUM.

Favorite running song that gives you strength? I can’t really pick out just one, but I love Alt J, Macklemore and anything Widespread Panic.

What was your favorite race and why?  Ragnar because it has everything I love. Time with friends, camping, running, food, beer, etc. Wonderful Memories.



What is your bucket list race….  Don’t have a specific bucket list race, but I’d love to do a trail run in Hawaii.

At what point did you start to call yourself a “runner”?  Interesting question. Not long after I joined MRTT, I said I wasn’t athletic and I wasn’t a runner, I just ran sometimes. The inspiring duo of Stephanie B and Marian S gave me so much strength and courage to understand that if you run, you are a runner. It doesn’t matter the length, speed or how often, if you run, you are a runner and them along with many other encouraging wonderful ladies have helped me to continue my journey.

What do you tell yourself to keep going during a tough run? I think about how far I’ve come and how far I have left and all the other tough times I’ve encountered in life that I’ve made it through. I know I will make it and sometimes it’s tough but that I know my body’s limits and what I can do. Also I like to think about my inspiring friends who have gone so much further. I also think about the strength messages people have shared with me and I hear my friends encouraging voices in my mind.  If I am with a friend on a tough run, it’s so much better because we can pull each other through the tough times.

What have you struggled with during your running journey and did you find a solution?  
I hit a point somewhere about ¾ of the way through each race I train for where I just don’t want to run anymore. As long as I utilize my friends for accountability and companionship, I pull through that just fine. It just takes getting out there. Also, understanding that some runs are just going to be BAD. And understanding that it doesn’t mean I should stop or that all runs are going to be BAD. It will get better and it takes the bad to appreciate the good.

What three things do you most want to accomplish (running or non-running related)?
  1. Involving my whole family in activities more.  Hiking more, running with my boys. And semi-regular running dates with my awesome husband who got me into trail running in the first place.
  2. A healthy weight and exercise combination that I can stick with that not only makes me healthier but a better runner. (Not emptying the fridge in my mouth after a run).
  3. Incorporate yoga in my life more regularly.


No comments:

Post a Comment