Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Flying Pig Marathon - Race Recap

I started running in January 2015 because I got the idea that I wanted to do something epic for my 40th birthday. I signed up for a 5K and went to buy some running shoes. Then, kept running and ran my first half marathon on my 40th birthday in June. When anyone asked if I was going to run a marathon, I always said “I don’t think so but never say never.” Fast forward to December 2017….I was trying to figure out what race I wanted to train for. I was considering a 50K trail race and figured I’d just skip the road marathon. I wasn’t getting any faster so figured I’d run farther. What’s another 5 miles at that point? However, I did not realize how much time would be needed to train for a 50K. I had let my training slip since my half in September so a Spring 50K was not realistic. I started training for Flying Pig before I’d even registered…just in case. I knew Suzy was signed up and she and I were similar paces and we both do Galloway run/walk so it was a no-brainer. Flying Pig Marathon here we come! 4 months of training, approx. 400 miles run in snow, sleet, and lots of rain. 

Race weekend! Suzy and I left Louisville around 1pm on Saturday of race weekend. After driving through the rain all the way to Cincinnati, we arrived in downtown along with many others as we pulled up to the Millennium Cincinnati and waited for valet. After getting through the crowds, checking in, and finding our room, we headed to the expo. It was a very large expo but no lines to get our bibs! Suzy’s person gave her a lot more information than mine but we found our way. It was a bit overwhelming at first so we decided to walk through to get our shirts and race blanket which was some nice race swag! After checking shirt sizing, we headed back into the expo and looked for some freebies, signed up for some drawings, bought a Flying Pig wine glass, and got our first-time marathoner bib from Buckeye Running Company. At their booth, they gave all first-timers a free Brooks shirt and a first-timer bib. I was a bit confused by this but you are supposed to put that bib on your back and that way people know it’s your first and people offer encouragement all day long! I wish I had worn mine but I wore a hydration pack and didn’t know where to put it. Oh well. I took lots of pictures at the expo but the big numbers 26.2 were my favorite picture spot.



We headed back to the room and rested for a little bit before meeting up with Amber and her friend, Julie, from Detroit. It was just a short walk to Midici’s where we enjoyed lots of pizza, I had my first Cidergeist Bubbles Rose (yum) and we watched the Derby! After dinner and a quick trip to Walgreens, we headed back to the hotel, laid out our flats, set our alarms for 4am, and went to bed!

I did not sleep well. I rarely do the night before a race. I had read earlier in the week to make sure you get lots of rest on Friday night so it’s not as big a deal. So I did.

Suzy popped out of bed at 4am and started coffee and getting dressed, she made me coffee (because she’s awesome), and we headed down to the race breakfast that the hotel offered. We just needed spoons and cream cheese and I needed some hot water for my oatmeal which I was able to do in the hotel room using the Kureg. We ate, took care of business, dressed, and headed out about 5:30am.



The actual start line was a short walk from the hotel…it took a little longer to get to our corral aka PigPen H. There was some confusion. Luckily, Suzy asked for directions as I was still half asleep and there was a lot of loud music which was a bit overstimulating. We finally wound our way down and around to Pigpen H and the porta-potties. We arrived in the potty line around 6:10am and the race was starting at 6:30am. We were still in line when the race officially started but it was still going to be a few minutes before we started to move so we were able to go to the bathroom and still had time to find Abbi who was pacing the 5:15 group, get some selfies, and stand around with race jitters. 

As the earlier pigpens started, we slowly started to make our way to the start line. At 7am, they finally called for our group and set off some crazy fire bursts to get us started. And we were off! Suzy and I planned to stay together and had agreed ahead of time that if we needed to go single file, I’d follow behind. There was a lot of weaving as we headed over the first bridge into Newport, KY, ran through town, past some funny older folks from the nursing home with signs through Covington like “Run faster, I’m late for Bingo” and headed back over another bridge to Cincinnati and the steady incline I’d been anticipating. This was a steady hill that covered miles 6-9 and gained 300 feet of elevation. I told Suzy I needed to adjust my intervals for the hill and did my thing while keeping her in view. She kept looking back to make sure I was nearby. Eden Park had a beautiful view so I had to stop and take a selfie. Then, there was the Elvis impersonator near the Cincinnati Art Museum.



There was water and Gatorade at every mile plus different groups at “Fun Zones” and music playing in addition to other people out cheering. It was a lot to take in and my legs felt heavy from the very beginning so I was getting worried. Starting temps were around 54 degrees and 100% humidity at 8am. Then, the sun came out. My Goodrs were fogged up so I couldn’t wear them yet. I was wearing my hydration pack with Tailwind and a small bottle of water with Stinger waffles, visor, and a buff on my wrist. When it started to heat up, the Goodrs stayed on and finally stopped fogging, and I doused my buff with water and continually wiped my head and neck with cool water. There was one lady “cheering” at mile 8 saying only 18 more miles which was not helpful. The half and full parted ways around miles 8-9. I thought it was pretty clear but I guess some people missed the turnoff. They had started yelling about a mile earlier for marathoners to get to the right…so I did.

The course goes through many neighborhoods, there are lots of people out along most of the course, many more hills, and some spots were brutally sunny. We saw Suzy’s friend around mile 10…then Suzy started hurting. Her hip was not happy. We slowed down for the next few miles. She was already telling me to go ahead but I didn’t want to leave her. We were still sort of doing our intervals but walking more than running. I had gotten slightly ahead on one run and when I held up to wait I realized she was really upset. I knew I wasn’t strong enough to get us both through this. Mental wall is one thing but I had no idea how to judge the amount of pain she was in and whether she’d be able to finish. The next run interval beeped and we ran and then walked. The next run interval, I ran and didn’t realize right away that she wasn’t running. When I did realize it, I just kept going. I felt so badly leaving her but I was also worried I wouldn’t be able to finish. We were only at mile 14-15 and I was starting to feel it. I hadn’t been able to get into a groove and the sun was getting more intense, my Tailwind tasted awful and hot at this point so I started drinking water at every stop, dumping water on my buff, eating orange slices from anyone offering, and dumping ice cubes down my shirt. I’ve never been so happy to be wearing a sports bra. The various “Fun Zones” offered quite a variety that were all pig themed….there was a stop with sunscreen, vaseline, bacon, gummy worms, cookies, beer shots, you name it, it was on the course. Mile 22 had the Hogwash with cold, wet towels which were AMAZING! My favorite spot was an older gentleman in his summer, linen suit playing Chariots of Fire.

My watch was ahead of the course mile markers the entire time and I learned later I wasn’t the only one. I was barely looking at my watch and barely doing my intervals. My head was okay but my legs and feet were not interested in this race. I’d started taking salt tablets around mile 9. I had three of them total and spaced them out about every 5 miles. I didn’t want any food on the course and completely forgot that I’d brought stinger waffles. I had mentioned to Suzy to remind me that if I was sick of Tailwind and only drinking water to remind me I had waffles. I didn’t remember this until Tuesday when I was texting Marian about my nutrition. I’m not sure if it was the humidity and heat but I did not feel strong. I was still running happy even though my feet hurt when I ran and my legs hurt when I walked. I just tried to keep moving forward. I wasn’t paying any attention to my intervals. Sometimes I would find people to keep track of which would help but near the end, when I saw the 25 mile marker, I decided I had to finish strong (or as strong as I could). I started running and kept repeating in my head “If not now, when?” I knew I had to dig deep. I was still mentally feeling pretty good. I was just having trouble keeping focused and moving forward at a faster pace. When I finally turned and saw the finish line, I could hear cheering and people yelling my name. I couldn’t really make them out with all the people there but knew (hoped) it was Julie, Heather and Heidi cheering me on to the finish. I forget how important people at the finish are. It makes ALL the difference. I’ve never had much family support at the finish line. It’s such an amazing thing when you have people to share it with.



I crossed the finish line, found water, my awesome and so heavy medal, and even was aware enough to get a finishers photo. None of the food looked appealing so I passed and kept walking…there was even free pizza but I just couldn’t eat. I finally got to the end and Julie, Heather, and Heidi were there and ready to help with anything I needed. I just knew my feet hurt and I wanted water. They needed to get back to their hotel to shower. They had been waiting awhile from when they’d finished their half marathon to when I finally crossed at 12:45pm. They’d been tracking both Suzy and me and knew something had happened. Julie read my texts for me because I wasn’t wearing my glasses, they led me towards the gear check buses, and they headed back to their hotel shuttle. I was sad to say good-bye so soon but so happy they’d stayed.

I got my bag, found some shade, sat down and attempted to mix my Tailwind recovery drink (which I spilled all over myself) and changed my shoes. My feet were so sore. It felt like they were covered in blisters but there were no actual blisters. Weird. I sat there for a little bit, changed my shirt and hobbled off to get my finishers jacket. I couldn’t see well enough to track Suzy so I had no idea where she was. Why I just didn’t wait I have no idea. Marathon brain is a funny thing. The walk to the jacket was so far. And it was so hot. But I finally got it and then Suzy called and said she was finished. Then, while I was trying to walk back she texted that she was in the medical tent. I found her there getting water and getting situated. We sat there for a few minutes. I got more water. She changed her shoes. Then, we walked back to get her jacket and then all the way back again for our free beer, We finally got to sit in the shade, drink our beers, and stretch a little. We sat there for awhile enjoying the beautiful day on the waterfront in Cincinnati before finally getting up and making our way to the hotel shuttles. I couldn’t walk another step. Soon, we were dropped off, got our showers, and headed home as marathoners.





No comments:

Post a Comment