Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Megan - Leadership Spotlight





Name:  Megan M

Hometown: Louisville, KY

Family: Husband named Conan, 4 year old son named Brez and one cat named Gertie

Why do you Run?   Running makes me a better wife and mother. It’s free therapy that also allows me to eat all the food. 

Favorite non-running workout: Body Pump

Favorite Training Plan:  I don't follow a plan. I wing it and do what feels right to me.

Where is your favorite place to run and why?

I love the Parklands. They are beautiful and you can run long distances without encountering too many cars. And I love trails, any trail, anywhere is perfect.

What is the one thing you absolutely need to run?

I guess the only thing I truly NEED is a good pair of shoes. But I always have a belt or a vest on so I can carry my phone, headphones, water, and nutrition. I like to be well equipped when I run.

What is your favorite post-run indulgence? 

A long shower. I like to clean up and take my time doing it. Then after I'm fresh and clean, I will eat a bowl of Häagen-Dazs coffee ice cream.

Favorite running song that gives you strength?

This changes based on my mood and where I am in my run. Katy Perry’s Roar really gets me going. I usually set it to play at least twice during a long run/race. Also Bruno Mars’ Happy is my anthem right now. When happy comes on I run-dance for the entire duration of the song.

What was your favorite race and why? 

Backside Trail half marathon. It was my first trail race and I ran it the day after I finished the KDF half. I have never felt more empowered and strong than I did when I crossed that finish line with my sister by my side. The race was beautiful, the people were friendly and the aid stations were fantastic. I loved everything about it.

What is your bucket list race…

Ragnar! I love seeing all the exciting posts and all the love and support from everyone that attends and I can't wait to experience that feeling.

At what point did you start to call yourself a “runner”?

4 years ago, when I joined this group. I always considered myself a jogger, or a runner wanna be. But once I joined this supportive, empowering, running family, I truly felt like a runner.

What do you tell yourself to keep going during a tough run?

Put one foot in front of the other. You WILL get there one step at a time.

What have you struggled with during your running journey and did you find a solution?

My biggest struggle is childcare and the mom/work/fitness balance. Some days I feel bad picking my son up from daycare just to bring him to someone else to watch so I can run or workout. Or being away from him for 3+ hours on Saturdays so I can run. Plus, I'm always tired from working and running a household. But, as I said above, running makes me a better mother and wife so I always manage to find a balance.

What three things do you most want to accomplish (running or non-running related)?

  1. I want to raise happy, healthy children who grow up to be aware adults that make the world a better place. (The same thing all mom's want I guess.)
  2. One day I WILL run a marathon. It may take me a few years but it's definitely something I want to do (maybe for my 40th bday?)
  3. To complete a tri. This is something I think I may accomplish in 2018.



No comments:

Post a Comment