Sunday, May 13, 2018

Stephanie - Leadership Spotlight






Name:  Stephanie Boyd

Hometown:  Simpsonville, KY

Family:  My two boys, my husband, and 2 boxer babies (Bo and Ella).

Why do you Run?  I really started running as a way to get back in shape after being in the postpartum doldrums when my youngest son was almost 4. My husband was a runner and encouraged me to get out and walk/run.  I ran my first 5K within that year. I have never looked back. Almost 5 years later, my reasons for running are different! I do run to stay fit and set a healthy example for my boys, but I also have a young lady that I run for through the IRun4 Michael organization.  Her name is Jessica and she has a diagnosis of Rett Syndrome. I dedicate all of my training miles and races to her.

Favorite non-running workout:  My favorite non-running workout is definitely cycling. I also LOVE yoga.

Favorite Training Plan:  I don’t have a favorite although for road running plans I tend to stick to Hal Higdon for a base and modify as I like.

Where is your favorite place to run and why?  I love running the Big Four Bridge!  I love being up high in the sky, near water and have the ability to people watch all at the same time.

What is the one thing you absolutely need to run?  An open opportunity and/or an invite from a friend

What is your favorite post-run indulgence?  A cold beer.

Favorite running song that gives you strength?  I prefer not to run with music, but if I need a pick me up, I put on my running playlist that has a lot of female vocalists, everything from Kelis to Heart.

What was your favorite race and why?  To date, my favorite race hasn’t been because of the race itself, it was the people I ran with who made it great.  I don’t typically repeat races but I’ve done the KDF Mini or Full Marathon multiple times because of the local support it provides and so many awesome people in our running community are there!  

What is your bucket list race… Can I only list one?  I have several: NYC Marathon, which I am running in November, but also any Half Ironman and the Grand Tetons Half Marathon.

At what point did you start to call yourself a “runner”?  

I think it took me a couple of timed chip races before I felt like I wanted to be a runner. I do remember seeking out this group when my circle of friends thought I was crazy for racing more than once a year. I joined MRTT in 2014 and our members took me in and called me a runner from day 1. I’ve believed it ever since.

What do you tell yourself to keep going during a tough run?

I have a running buddy I was matched with a few years ago through the IRun4Michael organization.   When a run or race gets tough, I usually think of Jessica first. I will say, “She cannot run. She cannot walk.  I cannot complain because I can walk and run.  I run for Jessica. Let’s do this, Jessica!” and then I keep putting one foot in front of the other.



What have you struggled with during your running journey and did you find a solution?

My biggest struggle early on was comparing myself to everyone else and not having the confidence to be my own runner. When I first started running, I put myself into a box with a certain pace and type of race to run. Then, I met ladies in this group who were doing things I had never even thought of attempting and they encouraged me to try new things. This type of support allowed me to run trails, complete triathlons, and run ultra-distances.  Stepping out of my comfort zone and believing in myself as much as the women around me did was really the solution to growing in my running journey. I am currently training to run my first 50-miler! After that race, who knows what is next, but I am always dreaming about new adventures.  I think letting go of everyone else’s expectations for running and just finding my own running identity has been a huge success for me personally.

What three things do you most want to accomplish (running or non-running related)?

  1. Encourage as many women as I can to start their own running journey in a way that fits their individual needs and lifestyle.
  2. Continue to maintain balance while wearing “all of the hats” (runner, mom, wife, sister, friend, professional, etc).
  3. Inspire my children to be good and kind people.




No comments:

Post a Comment