Tuesday, May 8, 2018


Name: Erin May​

Hometown: Honolulu, HI

Family: We are a proud Army family stationed here for less than a year. We arrived in Aug 2017 and we are moving to Santa Monica, CA in June 2018. It’s just me, my husband Brad and our 4yr old son Matthew.

Why do you Run? I run for my health, personal time, and to honor those who can’t run. I also run to see new places and meet new people.

Favorite non-running workout: Weight training and yoga

Favorite Training Plan: I used the KDF mini marathon training guide this year and really enjoyed it! I’ll probably use it for future races but I’m always open to new training plans too.

Where is your favorite place to run and why? 

Of course I love to run near the beach but since moving here, I have fallen in love with the Parklands and the Olmstead parks. My favorite parks are Beckley Creek Park and Iroquois park.

What is the one thing you absolutely need to run? 

I need to be wearing my gold necklace that my mom gave me. I’ve been wearing it day and night since 1999.

What is your favorite post-run indulgence? 

A burger. I normally don’t crave or eat them but after a long run I’m dying for one hot off the grill!

Favorite running song that gives you strength?

I don’t listen to music when I run. But I do love Sia’s song “The Greatest”.

What was your favorite race and why?

The Newport 10 Miler (Newport, RI). I had my son in October and needed a goal. A friend helped train me even when I didn’t know if I could possibly do it. I felt physically unprepared. But with her and my husband’s encouragement I did it! I was so proud of myself pushing through the hurt and self doubt. I call it my “comeback run”. My son just turned 6 months old and I finished with a 1:48:35.

What is your bucket list race.

I would love to participate in a Ragnar race and although I grew up in Hawaii and lived there for many years, I have never run the Honolulu Marathon. It would be a beautiful accomplishment to go back home to complete it!

At what point did you start to call yourself a “runner”?

I think after I started training for the 10 Miler. I ran races in my 20’s and 30’s but I never trained for them. I was young and fit and just ran as part of working out. But I got older, neglected myself, and became a mother. This was where the real challenge began. I had to make time, get a schedule, and make it a priority to train and eat well for my races. All that preparation, thought and training made me a runner.

What do you tell yourself to keep going during a tough run?

I run with gratitude and think about my husband (all the sacrifices he’s made for us and our country) and I think of my son (how to be the best example for him). I also make sure that when I’m having a terrible run I keep it to myself and keep encouraging others around me. It helps to keep me focused on all the good around me and it actually helps to get me out of my struggle.

What have you struggled with during your running journey and did you find a solution?

I have a nervous tummy so I’m still working on that.

What three things do you most want to accomplish (running or non-running related)?

  • I want to learn how to trail run.
  • I would like to complete a marathon.
  • And I would love to come back and do the KDF Marathon with MRTT Louisville someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment