Thursday, June 7, 2018

Leadership Spotlight - Allison


Name:  Allison

Hometown:
I am from Owensboro, Ky, but have lived in Louisville for 16 years.    

Family:
My husband of 9 years, two girls (5 and 7 yrs old) and our new little puppy.

Why do you Run?
My first 2 mile run was actually at basic training, back in August ’97.  For 21 years, I’ve had a love-hate relationship with running. I swore I’d never run again after the Army, only to pick it back up several months later. In my 20’s, I completed several half-marathons, with limited training because I really didn’t enjoy running. I took 7 years off from running when I got married/had children. I started running again because I got tired of setting goals that revolved around a number on the scale. I wanted to lose weight, so I signed up for 3 races and started training. My most consistent running streak has been the past two years!!! I started running again for health, to set a good example for my girls and to maintain weight….BUT, I keep running because of the friendships I’ve formed. Running has become a social outlet…and an opportunity for ME TIME.  I LOVE the camaraderie of the running community, especially within the MRTT/SRTT group! 




Favorite non-running workout:
Cycling, indoors or outdoors…I also enjoy strength training, but don’t do it nearly enough. I’m trying to learn to love swimming.  

Favorite Training Plan:
I usually refer to 2-3 training planning plans, bounce around ideas with friends, and then create a plan to fit my preferences/schedule.

Where is your favorite place to run and why?
Any run on a dirt path through the woods is my favorite…a big bonus if there is water nearby and friends by my side.   

What is the one thing you absolutely need to run?
Good shoes should probably be my answer, but I might *need* my watch just a bit more…and black clothes…and my hydration vest.

What is your favorite post-run indulgence?
Mexican – shrimp tacos and chips with salsa/ guacamole.  

Favorite running song that gives you strength?
I don’t have a favorite song; when running solo on the roads or spinning, I usually just listen to iHeart Radio.

What was your favorite race and why?
Just one???  Run the Bluegrass happens to be my half-marathon PR for both time and amount of laughs during the race. Hillbilly Half was my first trail half-marathon, and I finished feeling very proud and empowered! Though I am not a strong swimmer, I felt completely in my element at my first triathlon, Tri Indy. Many friendships and lifelong memories were made at my first overnight relay, Ragnar Trail - Kentuckiana. Though the races listed above are very different, there is one common thread that made all these races my favorite… for each of these events, I trained and raced with friends.  Running has brought truly wonderful people in my life…races (and training runs) are so much more enjoyable when completed with friends!

What is your bucket list race…
A half ironman…I want that swag!



At what point did you start to call yourself a “runner”?
To be completely honest, it still feels weird. 

What do you tell yourself to keep going during a tough run?
I tend to get very reflective during my runs. I often think of my father, and how proud/excited he would be to follow my journey, cheer me on and help me select new races/adventures. I focus on my health and ability to be active, something he longed for his final years. I run for him; to feel a connection with him.

What have you struggled with during your running journey and did you find a solution?
For about 6-8 months, my biggest struggle was GI issues. I tried increasing certain foods, eliminating certain foods, adjusting calories, modifying macros, running fasted, eating before runs, only liquid nutrition during runs, only real food during runs, etc.  You name it, I tried it…and I saw a couple of doctors along the way. Focusing on plant-based, whole foods really helps, but probiotics have been the major change that improved my running life!  For months I worried I would never be able to run long-distance carefree, but I’m happy to report I think I’ve finally found a solution!

What three things do you most want to accomplish (running or non-running related)?
  1. Strive to find/maintain balance between household responsibilities, work roles, relationships with family/friends and taking care of myself.
  2. Be a positive role model for my girls; raise them to have confidence, strength, courage and passion to follow their dreams, enjoy their journey and live a life full of health and happiness!
  3. Continue to set goals which take me out of my comfort zone, challenge me to be my best version of ME and keep life exciting/full of adventure!



No comments:

Post a Comment