Saturday, May 25, 2019

Kaitlin's Flying Pig Marathon Recap!


Flying Pig Marathon - Race Recap by Kaitlin B.
May 5th, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Why I ran the Flying Pig Marathon:
I decided I wanted to run my first full at Flying Pig back in December when I saw the date. I lost one of the most important people in my life on May 5, 2012, and I just knew this was the perfect way to reclaim that date for myself. When my alarm went off on race morning, I immediately jumped out of bed and got ready. I was so excited and just wanted to get down to the start area! My friend, April, was running the half. We were dropped off near the start, took a picture with our Fleet Feet group, and headed towards the corrals. We gave each other one last hug and split up for our separate starts. I was waiting for my other friend, Lilith, who I had roped into running with me. In the meantime, I looked over and saw my “running mom,” Suzanne, who was exactly who I needed to see at that moment. We shared a long hug and lots of tears. I was feeling anxious but happy and I just needed someone I loved to hold me for a minute. I thanked her and sent her off to her corral as well. A few minutes later, Lilith joined me and we were off!

We were surprised to see my husband and my friend, Brittany, just past the start. I wasn’t expecting them until mile 6 but seeing them helped my jitters and I was so grateful. I was worried that I would go out too fast, but my body kind of took over and we paced really well, just a smidge fast, for the first 6 miles. I expected to really slow down going up the giant hill into Eden Park but I still get so strong! It helped to have my cheer squad at the base of the hill. Having done the half before, I was familiar with the hill. I broke it into three parts and it was over before I knew it and we were approaching mile 11, our next spot to see Austin and Brittany. As we got closer to them, my husband said, “You have people here!” I looked ahead and saw one of my best friends and her fiancĂ©. I immediately started crying, feeling so supported by my loved ones. Lilith settled me down, we waved and kept on going! The aid stations and crowd support for this race are unbelievable! It is a giant party with mimosas, candy, cookies, beer, towels, tissues, Vaseline, anything and everything you could possibly need! If you want to have an absolute blast in a marathon, you need to do the Pig. Lilith took a video of me going into a neighborhood around mile 14 and just beaming because there were pig balloons and parties everywhere, it was beyond amazing. I drank a beer, ate some Swedish fish, and even took a bite of (very salty) bacon. I wanted to embrace the entire experience and have FUN. I definitely think we achieved that!

Our next place to see our crew was mile 19. Austin had gotten even more of my friends there by that point. I was determined not to cry that time so I cheered and ran past giving everyone high fives, gaining strength from each of them. After that point, I knew it was going to thin out a little bit and this is where it would get mentally tough, I was right. Mile 21 was probably the most sparse of anywhere on the course because we ran on the highway for a while. It made me so grateful for the high energy on the rest of the course but it was also my weakest portion of the race, and that is okay. I was expecting to see my crew at 25 or 26 so I just counted down to that. I also dedicated each mile to someone or something (MRTT was mile 23 and I can honestly say you all kept my legs moving!) which was inspiring in the tough moments. After 21, it seemed to fly. 5 miles left, 4 miles left and 44 minutes to come in under 4 hours, 5k left, 2 miles (I’ll be seeing my family soon!), 1 mile (where are they?!). I saw some friends who had finished the half as we approached the finish line crowd (which is almost a mile long) and I was just so happy! I needed to see someone there and they were the perfect cheerleaders. I scanned the crowd as I ran, soaking in the cheers and excitement. I saw my Fleet Feet family, Lorri, Suzanne, and Joni. I blew them a kiss because I just wasn’t sure how else to tell them I loved them and appreciated them I’m that moment. Lilith told me it was time to kick and I told her I’d already used all I head, I could hold steady and I was enjoying myself so it was fine. Then I saw my family. I saw my parents, the two people I desperately needed to see. I could hear my husband and my friends but I had tunnel vision on my mom and dad. They don’t watch me race very often and I wanted to show them what I had. I blew them a kiss and then I kicked. I hit a 5 minute pace for the last 200m or so, a 7:44 for the last .6 miles, despite the fact that I had just said I didn’t have it.




I got my medal, I gave Lilith a huge hug and thanked her for helping me stay smart and strong. I made my way through the chute and went towards our designated meeting spot. Austin saw me and came and got me. We hugged, we cried, it was one of the best moments of my life. He took me back over to everyone and we spent the next hour hugging, drinking champagne, sharing stories, and celebrating this huge day. My day. It will be a while before I tackle the marathon again, mostly because my experience was just about perfect, but I will definitely experience 26.2 again. I’m a marathoner! 3:53:27
My favorite part of this race:
The crowd support was incredible. I can’t stress that enough. The city shows up for this race and the runners, they cheer for you, support you, and make you feel so strong!
My least favorite part about this race:
I’m really not sure that I can pick. I had a perfect experience! There are hills but I knew so I wouldn’t complain, I was aware of what I was getting into. I wish the bacon had tasted better, I guess!
Will you run this race again?
Maybe not the full, just because I don’t know that I will ever run the same full twice. I will definitely go back for the half and other events!
What is the thing you are most proud of about yourself after completing this race? 
I’m proud of my strength. I put in a lot of work training for this marathon. It was physically and mentally exhausting, but I knew what I was capable of and I never lost sight of that. I adjusted my game plan a little bit but the end result was the goal I had in mind. I got to know my body so well over the past few months and I trusted it fully on race day.

No comments:

Post a Comment