Sunday, January 28, 2024

Member Spotlight on Melissa M.

 Check out this fun spotlight on Melissa!

Melissa in a fun post-run pose

Hometown:  I grew up in Michigan, but now I consider La Grange, KY my home


How long have you been a member of SRTT?  I've been a member for only a few months. I was invited by some wonderful ladies at The Big Run 5K in June 2023. I put it off for a while thinking I wasn't a "real runner". But I joined because one of those ladies ran with Kiki during the run, and a couple others were playing tag and not at all seriously racing. Kiki talked my ear off about it until I finally joined.


Why do you Run?  I run to be healthier and to prove to myself that I can. I grew up obese throughout childhood and became morbidly obese as an adult. I was never able to run more than a few feet as a child, and I could barely walk as an adult. All of my outdoor activities were off-limits. No kayaking, biking, climbing, etc. Now, I am training for a half marathon, and I'm able to do so much more. I can chase my kids and volunteer for their functions. I can climb and kayak and bike and swim and do ALL THE THINGS! So of course, I want to do all the things, and you'll see me post about them!


Favorite non-running workout: Kayaking or rock climbing.


What is the one thing you absolutely need to run? Shoes? I don't think I'd get far running barefoot.

What is your favorite post-run indulgence? Water! But chocolate cake pop runs a close second.

What was your favorite race and why? Gourdy's Pumpkin Run, because we do it as a larger family and carry ridiculously sized pumpkins for running then go home and forget to carve them.

Melissa carrying a pumpkin during Gourdy's Pumpkin Run

What is your bucket list race? A marathon - Hawaii would be nice since there's no time limit. And maybe a half triathlon distance (70.3)

Do you call yourself a runner? If so, at what point in your journey did that happen? I'm working on it. It's happening more often... After enough positive peer pressure from SRTT, and only recently.


What is your favorite thing about being an SRTT member? All the support and encouragement and teasing and griping and being human together.


What have you struggled with during your running journey and did you find a solution? Weight loss and feeling like a "real runner". The second part I didn't find the solution. The solution continues to find me. (Thanks!) Weight loss is hard because I need fuel and protein and enough to run on and build, but not enough to store. I'm at a plateau right now and trying to accept it until "this too shall pass".


What three things do you most want to accomplish (running or non-running related)?

Marathon under 6 hours, finishing a half triathlon, paying off my house



Like this story? 

Want to share your own?

No comments:

Post a Comment